Tuesday, January 25, 2011

ME ME ME!!!

Ok, so I just cannot take it anymore. The world boils down to two types of people, those who live selfishly and those who try to live selflessly. Notice I say TRY to live selflessly, because thanks to a little serpent with a huge ego we are now all inherently slaves to sin, unrighteous, ungrateful, unworthy, selfish pigs. It is by God, and through Jesus that we as christians do our best to live selflessly, or should do our best. As my pastor mentioned this evening some form of the word "give" is used 2162 times in the bible. If we are constantly feeding ourselves and holding ourselves inside and not out pouring, what good is that?

This was brought on a few moments ago while reading reviews for a book by C.S. Lewis. I noticed there were a few 1 star reviews of a particular book. Thinking "Who would possibly give C.S. Lewis a one star review?" I had to read. A particular reviewer put that he was leaning towards atheism because there is no hard proof for an afterlife, and stated that christians believe heaven is a place of infinate time and no pain, and no sorrow. This was correct, but he went on to decide that this couldn't be true because in a nutshell he couldn't fathom it.

There is a particular TV show that I like to watch, but it unfortunately spreads a message of selfishiness. Characters are constantly talking about how they have been wronged by others, and our being taught that the only thing they need to be happy is to live for themselves and not care about anyone else. THIS IS TERRIBLE!

Please don't think I see myself as a perfect selfless human being. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm incredibly selfminded. Just ask my wife how many times I lose track of my family because I'm thinking of myself. But, I do try to make it a point to cut my own wants and desires down to meet the needs of others.

I have this perfect picture in my head of what selfishness and selflessness do to people that I wish I could draw, but alas, my sisters got the drawing gift, not me, so I'll try to explain it. Picture, if you will, two people talking to eachother. They begin talking relationally on a personal level. Now if either one of these people start to just say "me, me, me, me, I, I, I..." Everything being said goes directly back to them. If both people talk this way there is absolutly no connection. On the other hand if the talking changed from "what I want" to "what do you want" that goes forward to the other person, and if both people talked that way, a bond can form because it's no longer inward, it is outward. I hope that makes sense.

Bottom line, God created us for unity, not division, and by being selfish, and inward all the time, nothing can flow out of you to bless or minister to others. Selfishness is a disease, let's find a cure.

1 comment:

  1. I heard a pastor once say that you can trace, almost every sin back to selfishness...what a thought!...great post!

    ReplyDelete